Bai Kabibai and Hansraj Morarji Charity Trust has a rich and glorious history. In mid 1920s a renowned and philanthropic businessman Seth Hansraj Morarji and his noble wife Bai Kabibai decided to donate their entire wealth to the cause of education and charity and thus came into existence Bai Kabibai & Hansraj Morarji Charity Trust in 1926. Ever since its inception, the Trust was associated with the freedom fighters and national leaders of that time.
Shri KM Munshi the eminent freedom fighter and an educationist was one of the founding Trustees. Mr Munshi had a vision of starting a school on the lines of public schools to impart quality education to children in India. He thus started Hansraj Morarji Public School as a residential school in June 1939 in hired premises in three bungalows off Ghod Bundar Road, with about 50 students. In the meantime, in 1938 Dr KM Munshi acquired a large piece of land in Andheri for the school. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel laid the foundation stone of the hostel building on 28 Jan 1940. The school moved into its premises in 1941. Following the outbreak of the Second World War, and requisitioning of the Andheri premises by the Government for military purposes, the school was shifted to Vadtal in Gujarat. In 1943, the school once again shifted back to Bombay and started functioning from hired accommodation at Worli. Finally, in 1946, after the end of World War, the school shifted back to its Campus in Andheri. The Khat-Muhurat ceremony of the new school building was performed by Dr K M Munshi. On completion, the new school building of the school was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on 19 Aug 1962. During the formative years, the school was blessed to have eminent personalities like Shri Rajagopalachari, Dr Sarvpalli Radhakrishnan, Shri Jayaprakash Narain and Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad visiting the school and interacting with the students.
Initially the medium of instruction in school was Gujarati due to the Govt. of Bombay policy of not using English as the medium of instruction. Later, English was introduced as medium of instruction in addition to Gujarati, following a Supreme Court judgement. In 1953, in view of the dwindling strength of the residential students, the school was thrown open to day scholars. In 1957, the school became full-fledged member of the Indian Public School Conference.
Today the Bai Kabibai and Hansraj Morarji Charity Trust runs educational institutions at two Campuses in Mumbai:
Andheri Campus has five prominent schools and plethora of Indoor and Outdoor sports facilities in its 28 acre lush green Campus. The Andheri Campus, also known as Hansraj Morarji Public School Campus, houses:
- Hansraj Morarji Public School and Junior College established in 1939 and affiliated to Maharashtra State Board;
- Rajhans Vidylaya affiliated to CBSE board established in 1986;
- Bai Kabibai Balvatika a modern nursery school established in 1982;
- Bai Kabibai School of Education (A teachers’ Training School) established in 2007
- Hansraj Morarji Public School (ICSE) affiliated to ICSE board established in 2018.
Fort Campus. The Trust runs Bai Kabibai English School and Junior College at its Fort Campus, which was established in 1981 and is affiliated to Maharashtra State Board.
During its 80 years of existence the schools of the Trust have produced alumni who have attained excellence in various walks of life, at national and international level. We feel, every child who passes out of our institutions is our ambassador and we are proud of him.